Kaolin; pottery and brickmaking history

Hi
I want to congratulate you on a wonderful website and to invite any members to one of my pottery demonstrations in Massts this summer, posted at www.piedpotter.com at locations on Cape Cod, the Blackstone, Central and Western, MA. I will be discussing the old pottery and brickmaking histories as I demonstrate pottery techniques on the wheel. Email me at rick@americanredware.com if you have any questions.
I am looking for information about a kaolin brick and tile company that was located in what was formerly the Village of Clayton, in what was known as East Sheffield, now known as Sheffield, MA. The Sheffield China Clay Works was established in 1866 by Orchable Taft and sold to his son Robert T. Taft in 1873. They made decorated tile and terra cotta products. They were recapitalized in 1881 at a cost of $25000 for the making of firebrick. Officers were Justin Dewey, Robert L. Taft and Byron N.Rood. Later, it was renamed the Berkshire China Clay Company under the management of Joseph B. Tinker.I own one white kaolin brick from this factory, measuring 5 7/8" by 2 7/8" by 1 15/16"; with a beveled 5/16" edge on the top and with a type impressed "404" on the end.
I appreciate the help of anyone who can give my research direction and information concerning this brickyard and the people involved with it.
Thank you very much.
Rick Hamelin
rick@americanredware.com

1 comment:

  1. I have a KAOLIN Brick what was removed from the Cotton Mill know as the Lofts at Mills Mill in Greenville SC. it was burried in the land fill around the building as the remodeling took place to make Upscale Condos, I also am looking for history on this brick, the Mill was built between 1895 and 1896 ...

    ReplyDelete